2012 Humpback Whale Ocean Contest winners
Congratulations to the following student winners of the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary's 2012 Humpback Whale Month Ocean Contest.
Students from kindergarten to eighth grade around the globe were invited to express their insights, observations and understanding of the marine environment through original artwork, poems and short stories. There were about 300 entries.
All entrants became members of the Ocean Guardian Kids Club and received an ocean education packet.
Here are the art winners by category. To see all of the entries, go to hawaiihumpbackwhale.noaa.gov.
- Art – Kindergarten to Grade 2
- 1st: Connor Reid, Gabriola Elementary, British Columbia
- 2nd: Joshua Dabashi, Island School, Kaua‘i
- 3rd: Skyy Sekimoto, Nuuanu Elementary, O‘ahu
- 4th: Franchesca Marie Matahum, St Anthony School, O‘ahu
- 5th: Kyle Ching, Iolani School, O‘ahu
- Art - Grade 3 to Grade 4
- 1st: Lauren Ishikawa, Iolani School, O‘ahu
- 2nd: Eunbi Choi, Saipan International, Saipan
- 3rd: Kayley Dombriones, Hanalei Elementary, Kaua‘i
- 4th: Chloe Okimura, Iolani School, O‘ahu
- 5th: Zoe Omura, Iolani School, O‘ahu
- Art - Grade 5 to Grade 8
- 1st: Sienna Namohala, Kapolei Middle, O‘ahu AND Klaryssa Kado, Kapolei Middle, O‘ahu
- 2nd: Malie Fox, St John Vianney, O‘ahu
- 3rd: Yoa RaSung, Iolani School, O‘ahu
- 4th: Kyra Tan, Iolani School, O‘ahu
- 5th: Jake Flores, Kipp Coastal Village Middle, Texas
Here's a link to the winning poems and essays, with a poem by Kawika Akina below.
5th Place, Grade 5 to 8
Kahuku Elementary School, O'ahu
They are as long as a bus
They have ears like us
They have bumps all over
They don't need a makeover
Humpbacks love singing
They also love eating
They go 25 knots per hour
And they don't need a shower
They have a tail or fluke
And they will not puke
They eat small fish and krill
But they do not need a grill
A whale isn't a fool
It is just plain cool.